Due to the success of the first Theories & Techniques workshop we held in March, we are launching more workshops! If you live in an area where you think this workshop could be a success please don't hesitate to shoot me an email and let me know. Perhaps its something I can make happen in the future. In the meantime, here is where the next workshop will be:
Philadelphia, PA. Sunday, January 10th, 2016.
So, here it is. If you've been wanting to attend a "workshop" about instant film, now you can!
Man I dread the word "workshop." The meaning of the word does work for this project, however I don't want people to think of it like that. Yes, its a workshop but after discussing all of this with my friend and colleague, Kiera, we decided to call it something different - keep the vision clear and to the point.
'Theories & Techniques on Instant Film.'
Why that? Because we thought it was pretty cool AND that's what we'll be teaching. My thoughts, theories, and techniques - and Kiera's as well. It's like a study group, or consortium, or anything else you can think of where like minded individuals get together to nerd out on something they love. We will show you everything we know about instant film - which may be a ton to someone, but not much at all to someone else. Either way, the fact is that we love instant film and we want to see it around for years to come. So this workshop, in a way, is our way to make that happen.
If I've kept your attention this long then perhaps this project/workshop/endeavor interests you and you'd like to hear more about it. So here it goes ...
I, along with Kiera, will be running this gathering at a selected space in the chosen city. This is going to be super hands on and interactive. This is not going to be something where you follow me around for hours and I teach you all about me, and the things I do, and the things I think you should do. This is about teaching you techniques, ideas, theories, and everything else about instant film and you can apply it to yourself however you'd like. We both want you to walk away feeling smarter about instant film and have ideas on how to use it in YOUR work.
How long is it?
Roughly 8hrs. I highly doubt it will be shorter. Honestly, most likely longer. Once I get talking I can keep going.
Here is the itinerary for now:
- 10am ... Introductions of myself, Kiera, the group and also the types of cameras and instant films currently out there. We'll have most of them to show you but if you have something obscure, I encourage you to bring it. Actually, bring ANY instant camera you have because you'll be using it. Breakfast will be included at this time (coffee, bagels, donuts - that kind of thing).
- 11am ... Theories on instant film. History, where it is now, and where its headed.
- 11:30am ... Tips, tricks, techniques and how to's. What I've learned over the years and what Kiera has learned as well. This is where we'll just divulge all that we know and you can ask as many questions as you'd like. This is high quality learning time.
- 1pm ... Break for lunch. It's included in the cost, so yay!
- 2:30pm ... Shoot time. We plan on having a model present. Weather depending, we will shoot both inside and outside, in different lighting conditions. This is a time to experiment, test the film and cameras, and also test yourself.
- 4pm ... Gather back in group mode and more of the hands on stuff happens. Drying, cleaning, and bleaching of the negatives. We will pick a handful your images to process so everyone can see how it all works.
- 5pm ... Scanning - both prints and negatives. This, along with bleaching negatives, is what I get asked about the most.
- 6pm ... Wrap up. I have a feeling we'll still be doing stuff around this time - which is cool with me and hopefully with you as well. If not, feel free to head out.
There are also things like polaroid transfers and fun stuff you can do with instant film that is NOT in the timeline but we'll get to if we can. We plan to start promptly at 10am. Feel free to come around 9:30 or so to get situated.
So finally, what you've been wondering ... the cost. Well, we know something like this can be pretty valuable and I'm sure you've seen 1 day workshops costing thousands of dollars. However, since we want to get people stoked on instant film, we are offering all of this (plus some things I'm about to tell you) for $495 per person. Full day. Nothing extra. With that price you will get the following:
The 8hr course, at least 1 pack of instant film, a gift bag of more goodness, breakfast, lunch, and all information my brain, and Kiera's brain, can dish out. We won't hide anything. We've got a few sponsors as well that will be giving away a couple things so you have a chance to bring home even more stuff. And who doesn't want more stuff?!
Lost interest? No problem ... see ya! Want in? Sweet. Click the link below and it will take you to a magical page to pay for the course. Since it's only 8 weeks away we are asking for the payment in full. One more thing, we are looking to have 5-10 people take advantage of this. Maybe it can be larger in the future but for now but we don't want to get in over our heads. So 10 max. And even if only a few people commit to this, we are going to run it. It will just be more intimate.
Questions? Shoot me an email at email@example.com OR give me a call at 267.664.6602
Ready to commit to the Philadelphia Workshop?
Current sponsors ...